Sheriff Theriot offers these parade safety tips:
· Parents should place an ID on your child with contact information including phone number, child’s name, the name of a relative, and any other pertinent information in case of separation during the parades. Tell them to show it to a police officer if they get lost.
· Establish a post-parade meeting place for family and friends in case you become separated.
· Leave all unnecessary items at home. Do not bring a wallet or purse.
· Park vehicles in secure areas and do not leave valuables in plain sight.
· If you are attending parades at night, make sure you park in a safe, well-lit area, near the parade route.
· Children should always stay with an adult and should not talk to strangers.
· Do not run in front of crowds or in the street to catch beads.
· If you are placing children in a ladder seat, the general rule is that ladder should be placed as many feet back from the curb as the ladder is high. An adult should always stand on the back of the ladder.
Be extra careful when driving or walking near parades and parade traffic.
Keep a close watch on small children when on the parade route.
Sheriff Theriot and the St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office wish you a happy and safe Mardi Gras. Laissez les bon temps rouler!