The City Council on Tuesday night unanimously rejected the 48-home development plan as submitted.
No representatives of the East Maple Avenue project were on hand to discuss it. Their attorney has previously advised the council he believes it has no authority in the matter.
City Attorney Jacques Pucheu told the council Tuesday night that the city expressly reserved the council’s right to accept or reject subdivision proposals in a 1985 ordinance.
The developer contends the Zoning Board has the authority under a state Subdivision Ordinance.
The difference of opinion most likely will be settled through legal channels.
Pucheu told the council it had the responsibility of deciding the proposal’s fate on the basis of whether it met provisions of zoning standards, not whether it was something other property owners wanted or didn’t want it.
But a room full of protesting residents wasn’t likely to be ignored this close to an election day.
At-large alderman Jack Burson took the lead, plucking the dead duck feather by feather.
Pluck - he noted a petition from the neighborhood unanimously against the development.
Pluck - he pointed to apparent disparities in right-of-way dedications.
Pluck - he pointed to pre-fabricated materials.
Pluck - he questioned the ultimate effect on drainage.
Pluck - he pointed to population density contrary to the existing patterns.
Pluck - he raised financing issues.
Pluck - he noted traffic concerns.
Ward 2 member Germaine Simpson, disappointed the developer wasn’t present to discuss the project, seconded Burson’s motion to reject and it passed to a chorus of hallelujahs and amens from the audience.